Deputy Foreign Policy Editor, November 2016 - Present
Manages and curates content for Lawfare’s Middle East vertical, Omphalos, including soliciting and editing articles for publication.
Writes a weekly column, the Middle East Ticker, contextualizing important news stories from the region, and contributes additional articles on an occasional basis.
5-Minute MENA Update
Writer, August 2016 - July 2017
Writes a daily newsletter aggregating top stories from the Middle East, continuing work begun at Foreign Policy. The new version features expanded coverage and has quickly acquired more than 500 readers.
The Brookings Institution
Publication Editor (Contractor), April 2016 - June 2016
- Compiled, drafted, and edited the proceedings for the 2015 Saban Forum, an annual conference on U.S.-Israeli relations.
National Security Network
Policy Analyst, May 2014 - February 2016
- Researched and wrote policy reports and briefs on topics including U.S. strategy in Syria and Iraq, the Iran nuclear agreement, and the politics of Islamophobia.
- Wrote articles and editorials for the Los Angeles Times, Foreign Policy, Defense One, and The Hill. Briefed congressional and presidential campaign staff in response to information requests.
- Participated in coalitions of NGOs with the purpose of developing political and legislative strategy in favor of the Iran nuclear agreement and the closure of the Guantanamo Bay detention facility.
- Appeared on international television and radio, including Al Jazeera, Alhurra, and SiriusXM.
Foreign Policy Magazine
Author, Mideast Brief, March 2015 - August 2016
- Wrote the Mideast Brief, a daily email newsletter summarizing news and commentary about the region with approximately 100,000 subscribers.
Assistant Editor, March 2013 - May 2014
Intern, August 2012 - March 2013
- Wrote over 100 blog posts for Foreign Policy’s Passport, The Cable, and The Complex blogs and more than a dozen articles on a diverse range of topics.
- Solicited and edited articles from relevant experts and arranged their web layout and publication.
- Also interned at Foreign Policy from August 2012 until being hired in March 2013.
Senior Editor, September 2012 - June 2014
- Reviewed and edited articles for content and grammar for an online journal for students and young professionals, working closely with the site's founder and authors.
- Wrote occasional feature articles for publication.
The Jerusalem Review of Near East Affairs
Center for a New American Security
Joseph S. Nye, Jr. National Security Research Intern, January 2011 - June 2011 and August 2011 - August 2012
- Co-authored a major report on U.S. strategy in the Middle East with Dr. Bruce Jentleson, Dr. Andrew Exum, and Melissa Dalton, published June 2012; previously researched and drafted sections of a report on U.S. strategy in South and Central Asia, published May 2011.
- Drafted project proposals and letters of inquiry for grants and other funding requests.
Anacapa Sciences, Inc.
Research Associate, August 2010 - December 2010
Research Assistant, July 2009 - September 2009
- Conducted research and analysis and developed cultural, political, and Arabic language content for an information-sharing system for military and civilian personnel operating in the Horn of Africa, Middle East, and South Asia.
- Conducted background research and authored introductions to six case study reports concerning special enforcement programs that employ Data-Driven Approaches to Crime and Traffic Safety (DDACTS) for the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).
- Performed archival research and prepared an annotated bibliography in support of a DARPA study of military firefights conducted to identify factors that contribute to casualties and survival during combat. Results will be used to develop mixed-reality training to help prepare soldiers and Marines for armed engagements.
Mentor, September 2014 - Present
- Provides mentorship and tutoring on English/Language Arts to elementary school students in Anacostia once a week during the school year.
Bachelors in International Relations, June 2010; Bachelors in English, June 2010
- Graduated cum laude; Dean's List, College of Letters and Sciences; National Society of Collegiate Scholars; Honor Society of Phi Kappa Phi.
- Participated in the University of California Washington DC (UC-DC) Program, Spring 2009.
- Presented a report on withdrawal from foreign interventions at the UC-DC Program Undergraduate Conference, Spring 2009.
- Presented a report on the internationalization of civil wars at the Undergraduate Research Conference, Spring 2010.
University of California, Davis
Attended as a special student not studying for a degree, Summer 2010